We are a composite school providing both secondary and primary education in the heart of the north. We are an educational mission committed to reaching families in the community with the love of Christ.
To follow the way of Jesus Christ, seek His Truth and excel in life for Him.
Ki te whai i te ara o Ihu Karaiti, ki te rapu i Tana Pono, ki te hira ora hoki mo Ia.
To provide a Christ-centred learning environment emphasising the meeting of curriculum needs in order to prepare the students for effective Godly leadership and service, while aiming for excellence in all personal endeavours.
- To help each student to recognise his or her unique value and worth because each individual is created in the image of God.
- To help each student to discover and develop their own God-given talents and abilities.
- To train each student in self-discipline so that they can work consistently and fulfil their God-given responsibilities.
- To train each student to serve and lead as responsible members of their family, church and community.
- To help each student attain their academic potential through the development of character qualities and necessary scholastic skills.
- To encourage parents/caregivers in their rightful role as leading, guiding, training and moulding their children’s lives.
We provide an education from a Christian World View and follow the New Zealand National Curriculum. By accepting God’s Word as our guide and final authority in all matters, we will adhere to such scriptural principles and imperatives as found in the following Bible passages:
- “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your might.” Deuteronomy 6:5
- “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6
- “And you shall teach them diligently to your children and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down and when you rise up.” Deuteronomy 6:7
- “Concentrate on winning God’s approval, on being workman with nothing to be ashamed of, and who knows how to use the word of truth to the best advantage.” 2 Timothy 2:15
As can be seen, by our Vision Statement, Mission Statement and Guiding Principle, having Christ as the centre of our school is important to us. We want our students to find their place in the Kingdom of God, to become useful and effective members.
The school is a ministry of the Heart of the North Church, Celebration Centre. The church is part of an apostolically led and envisioned movement of New Zealand churches working together relationally. The school’s proprietor is a trust called “The Celebration Trust.”
The school is spread over two campuses:
- Kerikeri we have Years 0-8
- Kaikohe we have Years 0-13
We are an integrated school so we follow the New Zealand National Curriculum. Years 0-8 curriculum is guided by the ’Interact Curriculum’. Our senior students work at achieving National Certificate of Educational Achievement and gain credits on the National Qualifications Framework.
As with all schools, a Board of Trustees is elected by teachers and parents. The Board is responsible for school policy and the strategic direction of the school.
The Kaikohe Christian School was founded by Pastor Ned Jack in 1985. It began as a private Christian primary school under the leadership of Dorothy Murphy.
In 1991 the school roll was 43. In July 1997 the School integrated with the State system. It was no longer a private school. Parents elected the first Board of Trustees to govern the School and the Church remained the Proprietor with its rights and responsibilities.
By 1998 the roll had grown to 61 students and the School changed from primary to composite (Y1-Y15) offering secondary education. Principal Ray Melrose helped guide the school through these transitions and growth.
In 2005 the School took students who had been enrolled at the private Kerikeri Christian School under their wing as a satellite. The combined rolls grew to 200 by 2010.
In 2015, Principal David Rogers was appointed to manage the 20 plus full-time staff and over half million dollars operational budget. From the early beginning of two classrooms, the Proprietors Trust Board has sought to develop an educational facility with resources available on the site purchased in 1985. A larger site has been purchased for the future design and build of a modern innovative learning environment par excellence.